SPOILER ALERT!

Everything I Never Told You Review

Everything I Never Told You - Celeste Ng

Hello fellow bibliophiles! I'm Becca and this is my first review on this blog so bear with me!

For my creative writing class my teacher had us read this book Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng. I love this class so much and this is easily my favorite book I've had to read for it. This is literally a book I would just read because I wanted to.

Before I get into spoilers I'll give you a basic summary: "Lydia is dead. But they don't know this yet..." All you need to know (and it's not a spoiler it's on the summary and the first page)

Rating: 5 Stars!

SPOILERS AHEAD!!!

Instead of talking about the plot line of this book I'd thought I'd talk about the characters.

Let's start with James. He is easily my least favorite character in the novel. First of all, he never stands up for Nath. He freakin has sex every time something goes wrong, like that would fix anything. (I swear my entire class hates his guts). He imposes his will on Lydia to have friends. He ignores Hannah. That's basically all I'm going to say for James...I don't like him...period.

Marilyn I can talk a little bit more about. I don't like her either but there's more to her. I felt really bad that she couldn't become a doctor like she wanted. Then, I hated her for forcing it onto Lydia who didn't want it at all. She could have always gone back and gotten her degree, even with the kids. I mean, she could have made it work somehow. It didn't have to be all or nothing.

Let's move onto Nath, my favorite character. My heart broke every his parents ignored him. Especially when his mother came home and all he wanted to do was show her his astronomy stuff and she was obsessed with Lydia. I felt so bad for him at the pool that day when he was little and I wanted to kill James when he slapped Nath. I love this boy. He's my bae of the story. One thing that really irks me is that his parents never noticed how smart he was. He was the one getting straight A's and no one even noticed. He was the one who was naturally smart. Oh...Nath...

It's Lydia's time. I had a love/hate relationship with her. I really, really understand her. I understand parents forcing you to do stuff you don't really want to do. I felt sympathy for her. I do hate her though at times because she actually did want everything to be about herself. Especially that time when Nath told his parents he got into Harvard and then she says she's failing physics. Like really, Lydia? Does it always have to be about you?

I really love Lydia's and Nath's relationship, at times, in this novel. It's a very believable brother/sister relationship (it's actually similar to mine with my brother). I love how they know each other better than anyone and actually do care about each other.

Hannah...oh Hannah. I feel so sorry for her. She's ignored. She lives in the attic where things that don't want to be seen are kept. She hides under tables and no one notices. Marilyn even forgets she exists and doesn't set a place for her at the table. Like, really??

And finally...Jack. Oh Jack, my other baby. I never believed for a second he had something to do with Lydia's death. I knew he was misunderstood. I didn't expect him to be gay and in love with Nath, talk about plot twist. But I like it. It makes sense.

Oh...Nath and Jack. Talk about shipping. I hope they get together after the novel ends. My life would be complete.

Now..about Lydia's "suicide." I never believed for a second that she committed suicide. I actually though someone killed her. However, after reading I believe that it was an accident. She was talking about how she wanted to go home and tell her mom she didn't want to be a doctor, tell her dad that she didn't have friends, tell Nath she was sorry. I think she really thought she was going to swim to shore. I just think she drowned because she couldn't swim.

And that, my friends, wraps up my review of this novel! Such a great one! Read it if you haven't! and please post comments! Thanks!